Friday, November 9, 2012

Living With Hypoglycemia, Signs You May Have It!



               



Okay everyone! I wanted to bring some awareness to something that I live with everyday, and that is called : HYPOGLYCEMIA! Yikes, sounds scary doesn't it? Truth is, it can be very scary if not managed properly.

I first found out I had hypoglycemia when I was 5 months pregnant with my son Jacob. We were at the senior prom with a bunch of friends and I started feeling really sick, and my chest got very tight like my ribs wouldn't expand for my lungs to breathe.  I turned to my date and told him I needed to use the restroom and could he please take me. All I remember was my vision going completely black, and then waking up then the paramedics were putting an oxygen mask on me. I found out later that my blood sugar was dangerously low and I was diagnosed with borderline severe hypoglycemia. I remember that about 7 months prior I was at the bank with my friends and we went outside after I withdrew some money from my account, I went to get into the car and suddenly everything went black. Thankfully I had my friends there for me when I woke up, although I was very scared and cried a LOT! Thankfully, I haven't had any fainting episodes, although I have gotten pretty close more than a couple times.

So what is Hypoglycemia? From the Mayo Clinic:

"Hypoglycemia is a condition characterized by an abnormally low level of blood sugar (glucose), your body's main energy source.
Hypoglycemia is commonly associated with the treatment of diabetes. However, a variety of conditions, many of them rare, can cause low blood sugar in people without diabetes. Like fever, hypoglycemia isn't a disease itself — it's an indicator of a health problem. "

Treatment of Hypoglycemia:

"Immediate treatment of hypoglycemia involves quick steps to get your blood sugar level back into a normal range — about 70 to 100 milligrams per deciliter or mg/dL (3.9 to 5.6 millimoles per liter or mmol/L) — either with high-sugar foods or medications. Long-term treatment requires identifying and treating the underlying cause of hypoglycemia"

For me, I use glucose tablets that can be bought at your local pharmacy for about a dollar if you want a small tube, and it goes up from there. When I start feeling my blood sugar getting low, I take one and within a couple minutes are start to feel okay again. So what are the symptoms?

  • Confusion, abnormal behavior or both, such as the inability to complete routine tasks
  • Visual disturbances, such as double vision and blurred vision
  • Seizures, though uncommon
  • Loss of consciousness, though uncommon

  • Hypoglycemia may also cause these other signs and symptoms:
    • Heart palpitations
    • Shakiness
    • Anxiety
    • Sweating
    • Hunger
    • Tingling sensation around the mouth

    I think this picture is a really good reference for Hypoglycemic symptoms to use!


    When to see a doctor Seek a doctor's help immediately if:
    • You have what appears to be symptoms of hypoglycemia. Hypoglycemia, if confirmed, can be an indication of any number of illnesses, all of which can be serious.
    • You have diabetes and early signs of hypoglycemia don't improve with eating or taking glucose tablets.
    • Seek emergency help if someone you know who has diabetes or a history of recurring hypoglycemia loses consciousness


    A simple blood test can tell if you are in fact Hypoglycemic. It's kind of crappy to have to worry about it throughout the day, especially if you are at the park with your kids and you feel a sudden onset. That alone can rock you with anxiety and suddenly you're like "Come on kids! Mommy needs a milkshake!!"

    I think it's important to bring awareness to certain illnesses and diseases as some can go undiagnosed for quite some time like mine did. Thoughts? Anyone with Hypoglycemia wish to share their story, or tips on how to keep it under control?

    1 comment:

    1. I'm hypoglycemic too and I usually forget to pack snacks. Too many times I've had that "oh, crap" moment when I'm driving or out with the kids. I didn't even know that they made such a thing as glucose tablets! I'll have to pick some up to carry with me.

      ReplyDelete